Issue #24 - December 2017
Christmas Ornament Project
Ellen Smith - Troop #351
Last year troop #351 made over 150 handmade ornaments, which they delivered to a local nursing home. This year, they have expanded their efforts to brighten the day of residents of as many nursing homes as possible. On Sunday, more than 30 children from the community will be coming to make ornaments for donation. All of the dough is homemade! Also, a local after school program of 25-30 children will be helping our efforts. The holiday season is booming!
If you would like to host your own ornament making party, here is the recipe for the dough:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
11/2 cup salt
1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 tsp cream of tartar
Add how ever much food coloring as you would like. Cook over medium heat. You must constantly stir the mixture until it forms a clump of dough. Lay on parchment paper to cool. You can also add scented extracts, like peppermint, to make it scented dough. Roll out on top of flour so it doesn't stick and cut into shapes. Bake at 200 degrees for 1-2 hours.
Ben The Rooster
Six Flags Scout Day in New York
(While this event is for the NY Six Flags, check your local theme parks for possible scout days there as well.)
Every Spring Six Flags The Great Escape Theme Park in Lake George NY hosts an annual Scout Day. Last year they added a Camporee to the event and made a weekend out of it. There was such a positive outcome doing this that they have decided to bring the Camporee Back for a second year. This year Scout Day & Camporee will be June 9 & 10, 2018.
This event brings thousands in attendance and is open to all scouts and their families and friends. The goal is to host an event for all troops that give them a fun pact experience that allows them to meet fellow scouts, make new friends, and leave with memories that will last forever at an affordable price. This weekend is all about our scouts, they have such a huge presence in the park and we love celebrating them year after year.
Each year Six Flags partners with Scout Councils in New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont and New Hampshire. Last year they partnered with 14 councils (Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts) and were able to raise thousands of dollars to give back to them.
What is Scout Day & Camporee at The Great Escape?
It is a Two Day Scout Event that offers:
- Discount Admission Tickets at $30 (includes free parking & scout patch)
(Normal price is $80 at the gate)
- Early Park Access before the public
- Scout Opening Ceremony
- Scavenger Hunt with prizes
- Card Board Boat Regatta Challenge with prizes (day pass giveaways)
- Scout Lunch Buffet for $13.49 +tax
(Regular price is $20 )
- Tie Dye Shirt Activity- $8.00+tax
- Exclusive Scout Patch included with every admission ticket purchase
- Scout Activity Area
- Camporee Package- $71.99 per person â€“ Season pass Holder Package Available
(Package Value is $200 +)
- Includes Saturday & Sunday Admission
- Free Parking
- All Scout Activities
Camp Out Saturday night with Fire, Sâ€™mores, Activities (Separate site area on grounds for boys, girls and families)
Sunday Breakfast on Camp Grounds
How to raise funds for your troop:
- Six Flags will provide collateral to you with a promo code and every ticket sold using this promo code $1.50 goes back to your troop.
- Six Flags will provide hard tickets to your troop and you can up the price $5.00 to keep for your troop.
- 1 FREE day ticket earned to The Great Escape for every 25 tickets sold (great for fundraising)
How you support this event:
- Share our Scout Flyer to all of your families and community early and often by:
- Add the event to your website and Facebook events
- Share to Facebook
- Share in Facebook groups
- Bring the flyers to meeting and conventions
- Bring Scout A-frame (supplied by Six Flags) at conventions
- Place flyers in Scout Stores
- All this material will have your personal promo code and you will receive proceeds for every ticket sold.
If you would like to partnership with The Great Escape to support Scout Day & Camporee please contact by email or phone.
Great Escape Theme Park & Lodge
1172 State Route 9
Queensbury, NY 12804
P:518.792-3500 x 3277